Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Stitches and Wheaties

My parents always bring groceries with them when they stop by.
Sometimes it's fruit.  
Sometimes peanuts.  
But always something.  
My mom said my dad's parents were the same way.  So he enjoys it.

My dad loves a good deal.  So, when he found an outrageous deal on cereal, he brought us over 20 boxes.  There was a good mixture...Cocoa Puffs, Fruit Loops, Cheerios, Wheaties...but the kids wouldn't eat the Wheaties.  So, I had to find something else to do with them.





I found a recipe here

Wheaties Muffins

1 cup flour
¼ cup sugar
3 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
¼ cup shortening
1 egg
½ cup vanilla soy milk
2 cups Wheaties

Mix dry ingredients; add shortening, egg, and milk.  Mix well.  Fold in cereal.  Spray the muffin pan well.  Bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes.

They were awesome right out of the oven.  The outside is a little crunchy and the inside moist.  Rowyn, Cooper, and I had one.  I didn't think they were as good the next day...so serve them for breakfast, fresh out of the oven. 

Booth stole two later on.  I'm not even lying.  It's true.  Our counter tops are not safe. I was at work, so I blame Clyde. 

****************************************************************








Rowyn had her first set of stitches Friday night.  She was standing on the seat in the shower, slipped, fell, and hit her chin off the seat on her way down.  I was trying to stay calm, but that adrenalin kicks in and chaos ensues.

We went to the ER and when we pulled up, she said, "I scared, Mommy."  Aww, poor baby.  Lots of hugs, kisses, and reassuring and she started to calm down.  Grammy met us there and that helped too.  Grammy brought suckers and her cell phone with that Tom Cat game on it.  Thank God for Grammy!

The nurse told Rowyn she was going to take her temperature.
Rowyn screamed.
The nurse told Rowyn she was going to weigh her.
Rowyn screamed.
The nurse asked to take off the bandaid, so she could see the cut.
Rowyn screamed.

The screaming drew a crowd...several more nurses came in to see if she needed help.  I'm sure they were surprised to see she hadn't even touched her yet at this point.

No shots were needed, they used a topical to numb her.  Awesome! 

Rowyn continued to be in rare form.  
She called Grammy a "big meanie!" and poor Tom Cat on the phone took a beating.

When the doctor finally came in, Rowyn pointed at him and announced, "I not like he!"  Which she continued to recite several more times.

They laid her on the table, four of us held her down, and the most amazing thing happened.  She didn't scream.  She didn't move.  She just lied there.  He put in five stitches and that was it.  I couldn't believe it.  I had myself all worked up for some big production, but it was over and done with in a matter of minutes.  They even gave her a Ty bear from the gift shop.


She fell asleep in the car on the way home.  A lot of excitement for a 2-year-old. 

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Kolin's parents do the same thing with food. We came home with cereal, canned veggies and other assorted goodies.

Sounds like Rowyn gave you a run for your money! So glad she's alright.