Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Teasing


I bought Riley a coat very similar to this at the end of the season last year. Today was the second time she's worn it to school, except this morning she was fighting me on wearing it. She told me she hated it, that it was ugly. Several seconds later, she was in tears. She said kids were making fun out of her for wearing it. I explained that it was a cute coat and adorable on her. I told her to tell those kids they have no sense of fashion. Which she promptly responded with, "What's that supposed to mean?"

We constantly talk to our kids about tolerance and about teasing. I've always told them that their daddy and I want them to be the type of kids that will help make a new student at school feel welcome. To be the kids that don't judge others and certainly don't tease someone because of their appearance. I still remember being made fun of, 7th and 8th grade were especially harsh. I don't want them to go through that, nor do I want them to be the bullies. If only it were that easy, right?

So my question to you blog readers is this...do you make her wear the coat and risk continued ridicule or do you leave it sit in the closet and piss and moan about the money you wasted?

4 comments:

Cait said...

wish it were my size because I would gladly take it! find out who those little sh*ts are so that aunt caca can teach them a thing or two about style and class.

Unknown said...

give the coat to lump...she'll rock it. and forget aunt caca....wait til aunt mugs gets ahold of the brats! forget style and class, they need a good, old-fashioned, ghetto-style ass whoopin!

Lori said...

I agree with the other 2 ladies...first thing you need to do is find out who these kids are and beat their a**ses!! I think the coat is adorable, but I can remember being Riley's age and my mom making me wear things that I didn't want to wear or didn't really like. Sometimes it would really ruin my day and really stress my out. Kids can be SO mean..it just isn't right!! At least you have 2 other girls who could wear the coat someday:)

Mar said...

Kids are so mean! I think the coat is awesome, and I know Riley looks adorable in it! Madeline had the same thing happen when she wore a plaid shirt to school, and she came home saying someone had made fun of it and said it looked like a boys shirt, and I told her the same thing, "this kids must not know that plaid is IN this season!" ha! I'm not sure what I would do, I probably wouldn't push the issue and just hope that she would get to the point where she didn't care what some other little sh*ts thought about her coat!