Sunday, June 21, 2009

Escherichia Coli





A week ago today, I was sitting in the hospital with my youngest daughter. It was that day I learned what Shiga Toxin was and what it was doing to my daughter's small little body. From the outside, she looked so healthy, so it was hard to comprehend what was going on on the inside. Approximately 5-10% that have E. Coli will develop HUS (Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome) and she drew the short straw. We were told Rowyn's kidneys were only functioning at about 50% and she was anemic.

For the next 5 days, I spent every minute with her in that hospital room. Every sleepless night I laid there, watching her sleep, silently crying, and praying. Praying that this would all be over and we'd be able to take our baby home and get back to some normalcy (or as normal as things can be with 4 kids). Everyone in the family was affected, Riley, Camdyn, and I also had E.Coli, but obviously not HUS. The day we found out Rowyn had to be hospitalized, I found Riley sitting in her room sobbing. I hugged her and told her that everything was going to be okay. She said she knew why Rowyn was sick. She said it was her fault, that she hadn't washed her hands once and that was how Rowyn got sick. Talk about breaking your heart as a parent. I reassured her that it was certainly not her fault and told her that Rowyn was going to be fine. Cooper was also affected, I remember him watching Rowyn get her blood drawn and he started crying...it was just too much for him to watch her in pain. Clyde was given the daunting task of taking care of the other 3 kids; meals, baths, bedtime, and getting them off to all their sporting events (we wanted to keep things as normal as possible for them), all while worrying about his baby girl up in 3rd floor Pediatric Isolation.

Rowyn was in the hospital for 6 days and 5 nights. She received IV fluids to help keep those kidneys working and due to her dropping hemoglobin, she ultimately received a blood transfusion. The morning before she got it, I knew it was a necessity, she was so pale, yellowish even. She was so subdued, just sitting on my lap. As hard as it was as a parent to watch, afterwards, I knew it was the best thing for her. She had color back in her cheeks, she was chattering again, and she was busy, busy with all the toys in the room. They checked her vitals every 4 hours, and it wasn't long and she was an old pro, offering her arm up for them to take her blood pressure. Every morning at 6am, the lab girls would come in and draw her blood. It was so hard to watch, especially the techs that missed the first time and would move that needle back and forth in her itty bitty arm trying to catch the vein. Poor Rowyn got to the point where just seeing someone in blue gloves was enough to make her scream. She had to get a second IV, because the first one came loose and the day before she was released, they removed the fluids from the IV and were going to flush it every four hours to keep it open should she need it again. The first time went well, no problems at all, but the second time was absolutely terrible. When the nurse started to flush the line, Rowyn screamed a scream no parent wants to hear. She became rigid, thrusting her little legs out straight...clearly she was in excruciating pain. The nurse stopped and commented that it shouldn't hurt (seriously, I wanted to stab her in the eyes with a needle)...of course it hurt, nut job, look at her!! She ended up taking the IV out all together, which I'm glad for. Her little hand was so red and swollen.

When she finally was released, I got in the car and just sobbed. I think I had been holding it all together while we were in there and once we were out, it all hit me at once. I was emotionally and physically drained...but she was okay and that is all that mattered. The first night back in her crib was amazing, I just stood there and watched her sleep...and thanked God for answering our prayers! Rowyn will follow up with a nephrologist in about 6 months or so. Her doctor just wants to make sure there was no permanent damage done to her kidneys. I'm confident there isn't, but will do whatever it takes to be sure.

I would like to thank everyone for all their positive thoughts, prayers, and kind messages on Facebook and AM. We have the greatest friends and family, thank you again!

1 comment:

SugarAndSpiceX3 said...

I was so worried about her and I'm so glad she's home, safe and sound!