Monday, January 14, 2008


Rough one for kids ~

I worked this weekend and it was a rough one for little kids. Several cases of pneumonia, RSV, Influenza A & B, even two cases of mono. It is so hard listening to those poor babies scream through xrays and labs, I hate hearing them wheezing and gasping for air. I want to be able to snap my fingers and make them better! In most cases, the parents seem very responsible, loving, and caring...but there are always a few times when you can just tell the poor baby doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell. One that stuck out this weekend was a 2-month-old that absolutely reeked like smoke, it was emanating from his blankets, car seat, clothes, everything. He sounded horrible, gasping, coughing, trying to catch his breath. He tested positive for RSV. I heard his mom bitching about how she didn't want to have to 'deal with no damn nebulizer'. I have to give our Acute Care doctor props, because he pretty much laid into her and basically let her know how sick her little guy was. It's times like that, that I wish DHS could get involved for mandatory drop-ins to make sure she's following through with his medical care.

We've got some sick ones here at home, Cooper is just getting over a nasty cough, Riley has a 'terrible stuffy nose' as she will tell you, and poor Lumpy is just miserable...a cough, constant runny, snotty nose, runny eyes, rash around her mouth, even her voice sounds funny. If she's not better in a day or so, I'm going to have to bring her in...there's too much nasty stuff going around not to!

No comments: